At DOC you can be part of something big and something important! DOC employees work with a wide range of organisations and individuals to protect native species and special places so they are here for generations to come, and help New Zealanders get involved in conservation.
"New Zealand is the greatest living space on Earth"
Kāore he wāhi i tua atu i a Aotearoa, hei wahi noho i te ao
By working at DOC, you can help contribute to the prosperity of our people and our beautiful country.
Our conservation work includes:
Working in Partnership with Air NZ
- biodiversity and natural heritage management
- bringing our historic heritage to life
- managing recreation facilities and promoting participation in recreation
- working with community groups and business to increase participation in conservation
- working with whanau, hapu and iwi to build a living treaty partnership based on shared values for the benefit of Aotearoa/New Zealand
- helping others engage in conservation
- working with businesses operating on conservation land
- compliance and law enforcement.
Our people are hard-working, active, knowledgeable and dedicated. They make a difference, working outdoors, in communities, and part of world-leading initiatives.
We want to build a true connection-culture – one in which there is respect, recognition, belonging, personal growth, shared vision, meaning and engagement. People work together and aim in the same direction, supporting and assisting each other – we build on our strengths.
South Westland team 2013
DOC supports its staff by providing:
- safe working conditions
- a working environment where the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi are upheld
- a workplace where your aims and aspirations are recognised and diversity is welcomed and valued
- career development and training opportunities – see below
- access to staff subsidies and benefits – see below.
Staff benefits and subsidies
DOC offers staff a range of benefits including discounts and subsidies, professional assistance, support, and social activities.
Wellington Visitor Centre staff
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP): DOC's EAP helps employees who have work-related or personal problems that may be disrupting their life at work and home. The service provides free professional, voluntary and confidential counselling by trained counsellors.
- Retirement savings schemes:
- Kiwisaver – a voluntary, long-term savings initiative to help set you up for your retirement.
- Government Superannuation Fund, National Provident Fund and State Sector Retirement Savings Scheme – all closed to new members but DOC will contribute to these schemes for new staff with existing membership.
- Staff discounts and good deals:
- DOC accommodation in backcountry huts and campsites is free for DOC staff
- 20% off selected products from DOC visitor centres
- travel and accommodation
- outdoor apparel and gear
- Medical insurance: We offer access to medical insurance through Southern Cross Healthcare and Accuro Health Insurance. Both of these schemes offer reduced premiums to DOC employees.
- Eye care: Eye tests are provided and if eye wear is needed to perform duties, DOC will reimburse up to $450.
DOCtopus, the DOC Wellington dragon boat team
DOC social clubs are alive and well in many locations around New Zealand where staff participate in social gatherings.
Activities may include: Dragon boating, lunchtime netball, fancy dress ball, poetry competitions, movie/games/quiz nights, themed happy hours and charity fundraisers.
Flexible working conditions
Depending on the circumstances, staff may be able to negotiate flexible working hours.
DOC works with two unions who represent staff about their employment.
Public Services Association Inc (PSA)
The PSA covers permanent, temporary and casual employees of DOC except for members of senior leadership teams.
Read the PSA DOC collective agreement (PDF, 726K)
Visit the PSA website
Amalgamated Workers Union New Zealand (AWUNZ)
AWUNZ provides coverage for those employed in ranger and inspector roles.
Read the AWUNZ collective agreement (PDF, 1,125K)
Visit the AWUNZ Northern website
Career development and training
DOC provides employees with a comprehensive range of development and training opportunities. We offer training, coaching, and secondment opportunities both nationally and internationally.
Permanent employees can apply for study assistance for study relevant to their work. If successful, DOC will subsidise course costs, and you can take time off to attend lectures, complete assignments, study, and sit exams.
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format. About our files.